Nuffnang

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Pork Tenderloin With Apples And Onions

This had been a short working week and that literally means a longer weekend!! It was pretty much rest and relax this weekend, going back to the parents' place to spend time with them, etc. I did enjoy myself quite a bit and had some me time too. What about you?

As usual, I would cook dinner on Sunday. Mr G prefers to have a non-carbo meal so I was looking at some of Jacques Pepin's recipes to see if he had anything that catches my eye. True enough, I saw this pretty easy to prepare and cook recipe - pork tenderloin with apples and onions.

This recipe serves 8 and is from Jacques Pepin's Simple and Healthy Cooking. See my modifications in blue below.

Ingredients:

8 4-ounce pieces pork tenderloin, completely trimmed of fats, butterflied and pounded to a thickness of 1/2 inch shoulder butt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed dry thyme
2 tbsp corn or sunflower oil
12 ounces onion, sliced thinly (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cumin or caraway seeds (I used 1/2 to 1 tsp cumin powder)
2 pounds Rome Beauty apples, cored, halved and thinly sliced (I also cut the apples into small cubes to speed up cooking)
1 tsp salt

Method:

  1. Season the pieces of pork on both sides with one teaspoon of the pepper and the thyme.
  2. Heat the oil until very hot in a nonstick skillet set over high heat. Add the pork to the pan and cook for two to three minutes on each side. Remove the meat from the pan and keep it warm. Add the onion to the pan and saute for about three minutes, until it is softened.
  3. In a bowl, mix together the vinegar, water, sugar and cumin or caraway seeds and add to the pan along with the apples, salt and remaining half-teaspoon of pepper. Cover and boil gently for four to five minutes, until the liquid has almost evaporated and the apples are moist and tender. Return the pork steaks and any accumulated juices to the pan and reheat for one to two minutes.
I really like how quick this dish was and I didn't need to do a lot of cleaning which is something that I like. It's also perfect for a non-carbo dish as I can pair this dish with some salad.


When I asked Mr G if it was nice, I could only hear sounds of him eating, chewing and swallowing but no words came out. I reckon it must be that good to only hear those sounds. As you know they say that the only way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Yippee!!

I'm submitting this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs April Potluck.


I'm also submitting this post to Cooking with Herbs - May 2015 organized by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.


Link up your recipe of the week

No comments: