Nuffnang

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Quick-Roasted Chicken with Mustard and Garlic

For our new chef for the next few months, we are going to be cooking from Jacques Pepin. I've never heard of Pepin before this. However, as I researched more about his recipes and his way of cooking, I'm intrigued as many of his recipes are definitely attemptable.
 
To introduce Pepin, I'm going to try his quick-roasted chicken with mustard and garlic from Jacques Pepin's More Fast Food My Way. It's a really quick recipe and I've added my own shortcuts to it as well to make it even quicker :P This is definitely perfect for a lazy or tiring Sunday. See my modifications in blue below.
 
Ingredients:
 
One 4-pound chicken (1 packet or 900g chicken parts)
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco
1 teaspoon herbes de Provence thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Using poultry shears, cut along each side of the chicken backbone and remove it. Turn the chicken breast side up and press on the breast bone to flatten the chicken. Using a sharp knife, cut partway through both sides of the joint between the thighs and the drumsticks. Cut partway through the joint between the wings and the breast.
  2. In a bowl, mix all of the remaining ingredients. Turn the chicken breast down and spread it with half of the mustard mixture. Set the chicken in a large skillet skin side up; spread with the remaining mixture. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
  3. Set the skillet over high heat and cook the chicken until it starts to brown, 5 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the chicken for 30 minutes, until the skin is browned and the chicken is cooked through. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cut it into 8 pieces and serve.
Make Ahead: The chicken can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight.
 
Basically, I made this really easy by marinating it for a few hours and then when I'm ready to cook, I just place the chicken pieces onto a roasting tray and roast it instead of cooking it over the skillet before roasting it. My oven gives the chicken pieces crispy exterior which is sufficient for me so hence, the skipping of the skillet.
 
 
With some roasted vegetables as a side, this roasted chicken with mustard and garlic makes a perfect meal for non-carbo lovers. Mr G says he can eat this every week. It's so delicious and you can barely smell the overpowering mustard for those who are not big fans of mustard. Try it for dinner if you have very little time to stand over the stove. I'm already a fan of Pepin with his easy recipes.
 
I'm submitting this to I Heart Cooking Clubs in a bid for Bonjour to Pepin :)
 
I Heart Cooking Clubs
 
I'm also submitting this post to Cook-Your-Books#22 organized by Joyce of kitchenflavours.
 
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
 
 
I'm also submitting this post to Cooking with Herbs organized by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.
 
Cooking with Herbs
 

I'm also submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up April 2015 organised by Doreen of my little favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Diana of The Domestic Goddess Wannabe.
 
littlethumbups1-1
 
Link up your recipe of the week


No comments: