Nuffnang

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Spinach Ohitashi

Today is a special day for me. It's the day I was 'hatched'. Yeah, as they say, happy hatched day to myself! :) I am learning to love myself each and every day of my life even though sometimes I dread it, sometimes I am sick of it and many times I am happy about it. That's life isn't it? We all love, grow, get sick, love and grow again :)

This year's a special year although I tried to convince that it is yet another brand new start for me. It is filled with so much love from my family, loved ones, close friends and even many that I have not known for long. Indeed they did say, it's not a matter of how long but it's a matter of how deep. 

We are only 2 months shy of December and it's been such a long long year. So many happenings but yet, I'm still grateful for being here in a whole piece ;) Thank God for that. Enough of all this rambling but just want to say that in good health, in good spirit, let's say cheers to a happy, love-filled and healthy life together!!

I've decided to cook something fast and simple so I don't tire myself out today. Yes, you call me crazy but I just feel it in my bones that when I see my loved ones happily eating my food, I'm happy too.

Today I've decided to try spinach ohitashi by Nami of Just One Cookbook. My modifications are in blue.

Ingredients:

a bunch of spinach
pinch of salt
a packet of button mushrooms, sliced

Seasoning ingredients:

1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup dashi stock
bonito flakes (I omitted this as I couldn't find it)

Method:
  1. Wash the spinach and cut off the stem.
  2. Boil water in a large pot. When the water is boiling, add a pinch of salt in the boiling water.
  3. Put the stems of the spinach first as they need a longer time to cook.
  4. Then push all of the spinach into the water.
  5. After a minute or so when the spinach is cooked, drain and soak the spinach in cold water until cooled.
  6. Arrange the spinach and squeeze excessive water from the spinach.
  7. Cut the spinach into 1.5 inch lengths and put into a bowl.
  8. In a saucepan, heat the mirin and let the alcohol evaporate for a few minutes and let it cool down.
  9. Add soy sauce and dashi stock and mix all together.
  10. Pour over spinach and let it soak for at least 1 hour or up to 3 or 4 hours.
  11. Serve with sauce and bonito flakes mushrooms.


I was pleasantly surprised by this Japanese way of cooking vegetables. It is so easy and simple. I thought it tasted quite clean and nice, just the way I love my vegetables. It's a pity I didn't have more time to soak the spinach. I will soak it longer the next time and see how it turn out ;) This is brilliant, Nami!! Everyone loves it.

I'm submitting this post to Asian Food Fest #1 Oct 2013: Japan, hosted by Alan from travelling foodies.


No comments: