Nuffnang

Monday, August 5, 2013

Lemon Rice

If you saw my earlier post on Nigella's Keralan Fish Curry, you might wonder where is the Lemon Rice recipe.

Here it is. See my modifications in blue.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup plus 2 tbsp basmati rice (I used normal rice)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp dried mint (I used fresh mint leaves)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
approx. 2 1/4 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
1 tbsp black mustard seeds

Method:
  1. Heat oil gently in the saucepan. 
  2. Toss in the rice and coat it with the oil.
  3. Add turmeric and mint and stir to mix it all up. 
  4. Zest the lemon and then squeeze the lemon and pour the juice in with the rice.
  5. Add water so you cover the rice by a couple of centimeters. 
  6. Toss in a bit of salt, put on the lid and bring to the boil. 
  7. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking gently until all the water has left the rice or at least the saucepan ( for about 20 minutes]
  8. While the rice is cooking, toss the mustard seeds in a pan to dry fry them. 
  9. Set them aside until ready for serving.
  10. Sprinkle with the toasted black mustard seeds and lemon zest.

Notes:
  • I didn't cook my rice over the stove. I used the rice cooker which was a convenient way to reduce watching food that is cooking over the stove.
  • In simple steps, I washed the rice, add sufficient water for the rice.
  • I also added oil, turmeric, mint leaves and salt in the rice cooker pot.
Mr G loved the fragrant smell of lemon but I didn't add lemon juice as he is not a fan of sour stuff unlike me so better to make something that we both can eat. He did love the rice in the end without the addition of the lemon juice. 



I'm going to submit this post to Cook like a Star where the Star for this month is Nigella Lawson. Cook Like A Star is an event organized by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and the co-hosts for this month are Anuja from Simple Baking and Joyce from Kitchen Flavours. Do join us by cooking or baking any of Nigella's recipes for the month of August but do remember that it must be a current post. Don't forget to mention 'Cook like a Star' in your posts.

  

No comments: