Nuffnang

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Shepherd's Pie 2.0

It's been a long while since we all last met together. The last was probably in October for my birthday but that was only the 3 of us. The very last one should be at Celine's wedding. Man, that was long long ago. Now is the time for the last month of the year already - December which brings us all very close to Christmas. The time for reflection and resolutions is finally here :) Have you thought about your new year resolutions yet? I'm still working on mine. Before you get all emotional and nostalgic, I better 'bring' you to the dish I'm going to be bringing for our potluck this weekend.

I'm baking shepherd's pie and it's going to be Martha Stewart's!! :)

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart (my modifications in blue)

Ingredients: 
  • 500g beef chuck 500g minced chicken and pork (you can substitute it with half minced beef and half minced pork or chicken if you do not palate pork)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme a few dashes of mixed herbs
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup 1 can tomato herb sauce
  • 1 tablespoon plain flour
  • 2 to 3 small carrots, chopped
  • 1 can button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 box (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables (no need to thaw) omitted this as one of them don't eat peas and it'll be a hassle to pick out the peas
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
  • 3 cups mashed potatoes
  • some butter

Method:

To make mashed potatoes, I have to confess that I cheated this time by using box mix. Well, it was pretty easy though. Boil water with butter. Upon boiling point, add potato flakes with milk and stir till it becomes mashed potatoes. Add pepper and since I love my mashed potatoes fluffier, I added a tad more milk.



See my meat mixture above, getting all ready for its 'lather' of mashed potatoes.


Honestly, I realised that in my hurry, I forgot to take a picture of the nicely baked shepherd's pie :( Nevertheless, I still hope this is good enough for submission to 'Cook like a Star'.


                                              

This post will be linked to Cook like a Star where the featured chef for this month is Martha Stewart organized by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids together with her co-hosts, Baby Sumo from Eat your heart out and Riceball from Riceball eats.

6 comments:

Zoe said...

Hi Grace,

Nice to have you cooking with us at Cook like a Star!

This looks great as a potluck dish. Yum!

Zoe

Emily said...

Love shepherd's pie!

kitchen flavours said...

Shepherd's pie sounds great for a potluck! I love the potato top! haha!

Baby Sumo said...

Shepherd's pie / cottage pie are two of my favorite comfort food.

Mich PIece of Cake said...

This looks delicious, Grace. I love shepherd's pie.

babyfirecat said...

Merry Christmas Grace!

Your sheperd pie looks wonderful!