Nuffnang

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Apple-Walnut Mosaic Coffee Cake - THB #12 November 2012

Yes, I know I'm overdue for this yummy coffee cake from   "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas - Apple-Walnut Mosaic Coffee Cake. I hope I'm not that late for this submission for The Home Bakers. Many events happening lately (I will blog about this sometime later when I have more time). But I managed to make this tonight.

When I first saw the title, I was thinking, hmm Lou really loves fruits and nuts. Whilst I was looking through her book, I noticed it but there is nothing wrong with that obviously, just a matter of preference and taste for the right type of combination of fruit/nut coffee cake to me :) Apple, walnut and cranberries - they are seem ok to me, I'm now wondering how the trio combination would taste like.

Since Mich has chosen this recipe and is the host of the month, you can view her recipe instead.

My variations to this recipe, however are as follows:
  • I halved the whole recipe
  • I added crumble topping 

Crumble Topping:


  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

  1. To make the topping, in a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter, and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. 
  2. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake until golden brown and set, 35 to 40 minutes.
  3. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
According to Mich and some of our members, the cake is pretty crumbly and the amount of apples that go into the cake can be overboard. That got me thinking but at the same time, I want to see the pretty mosaic design that the cake is supposed to show. So I decided to use a loaf tin (yes, my latest new loaf tin :)) And I could thought I could 'dress' the cake with some crumble topping to go with the pretty mosaic.

So how do you think it looks? For a fact, I absolutely love the crumbly bits of the streusel and to me, that is also the best part. It smelt great too.


The time came for me to try to turn it over and cut it to take a look at the mosaics in the cake. Alas, the cake fell apart for the pure fact that it was too moist from the apples that were softly baked :( I should have heeded the advice more carefully by reducing even more apples than required, oh well, too bad for me :( To make it taste better, I had some ice-cream to go along with it. Don't they say that ice-cream always makes it much better? :):) Nevertheless, Mr G was really encouraging and said the texture of it is good for him because he loves moist cakes and fruits and nuts so nothing's going to waste :D


Note to myself: If I were to make this again, I will reduce the apple and the cranberries and perhaps, use cupcake liners instead. But I think I need to muster more courage to make this once again.

5 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Grace,
A great idea with the addition of the crumble topping! I made this into cupcakes, and reduced the apples after receiving tips from Mich. I'm glad that Mr. G enjoyed it, this cake has lovely fruity moist flavours!
And nice loaf pan! With legs too, have not seen it before!
Have a wonderful week!

Zoe said...

Hi Grace,

Mich did told me to bake this cake as small portion and also reducing the amount of apples but I chose to take the risk to bake it as a loaf and didn't reduce the amount of apple at all. I was thinking worst scenarios is I'm just going to eat a fell-apart cake... LOL! Lucky, mine was ok :D Phew!

Zoe

Unknown said...

Joyce - very observant of you, yes it's my new loaf pan from Wiltshire with pretty 'legs' to hold. Very pretty :)

Zoe - you did well, mine didn't hold so it's the scenario of how yours would likely turn out if yours didn't hold as well. Lucky you!! ;)

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hi Grace, the streusel looks delicious! Thanks for baking along with me... And I love the addition of ice cream... ice cream makes everything more delicious, doesn't it?

lena said...

yeah, there are lot of fruit and nuts cakes in lou's books and i find it not that easy when slicing these cakes when you hv nuts or fruits in the cake, they will tend to fall apart easily , I remember there was one or twice that i couldnt even slice a cake nicely for photo purpose:) I skipped the nuts for this cake thus resulting a easier cut:))